Luke's Story...

**Long Story for Memory Purposes**

Well I'm finally not pregnant and that in itself is a relief!
And we are all safe and healthy.

Lots to be thankful for over here.
Truly grateful for my family, watching Emma and Kate while we had our little boy. They're having tons of fun with Grandpa & Grandma T. and their Aunts, Uncles and cousins. They couldn't be in better hands!
Thankful for Joe in helping me through yesterday.
Thankful for fabulous nurses and doctors who have helped me as well.
Thankful for modern medicine!
And lastly, Thankful for Luke and the sweet little baby that he is already! I can't get enough of this guy. I am so humbled to be the privileged mother to take care of him on this earth. It can be an overwhelming task to be a mother. But the special moments that happen between me and my children are precious and unforgettable...and so worth it.

Yesterday, we got up and ready for the hospital. We arrived a little before 8 AM. We did the normal paperwork and got placed in our room. Our nurse, Lori, came in and asked some more questions. I got in my bare-backed gown and got ready for some fun. They inserted my IV....ahh!...those are the worse! She checked me and I was at a 3. So, I thought, we are on to a good start!

Immediately, they got Pitocin in it to get things going. I was expecting for them to then break my water but she didn't and couldn't. He, the baby, wasn't fully engaged down. His head was bouncing around when she would put her fingers up there. If she were to break my water, there was a chance that the umbilical cord could block the cervix and cause many complications. So she had to wait on breaking my water until he was fully engaged down into the cervix.

The contractions started coming and was ready for the epidural. Initially he was available but right after I asked for it, another case came up, with an emergency with another patient having twins, so I had to wait. I was fine with that. The contractions weren't that bad so I waited.

Things were just going really slow. It didn't help that they hadn't broken my water yet. That always does the trick with me but since they couldn't, I dilated very slowly...slower than I anticipated.

Finally around 11 am, I got the epidural. But there was one complication with it. The catheter in which they used for it wasn't inserted as far in as the anesthesiologist wanted but left it alone, telling me to just be careful so that it won't fall out. If it did or if I wanted to fix it, I would have to do the whole 'insert huge needle into my back" process again. So I made sure to not move at all.

So we just hung around some more. The nurse was waiting for my bottom half to get numb so she could insert the catheter and break my water. The baby was now engaged. So we were excited because we knew once she broke the water, things would go a lot faster.

So we waited for the epidural to kick it. I could immediately feel my legs become tingly and numb but then it wouldn't moved up to my stomach. This was like 1/2 hour after I got it and it definitely should have been all numb. So we thought he just didn't give me a big enough dose. So i pressed the dosage button to get a kick of drugs to get fully numb.

Initially it worked...

So we waited about another hour, waiting for that to kick in. It spread to where I finally couldn't feel the nurse insert my catheter, which was good because I needed to go really bad.
And then after that, she broke my water. Wahoo! This was about 12:30 or 1 when they broke my water. After that I was at a 6. So how we waited for me to dilate some more.

But as I got more dilated, the more the pain grew.

So the Anesthesiologist came in. He asked me what I felt and I told him at contractions, it was my lower stomach and lower back, really severe cramp-like pain.

So he gave me some a dose of something that would make me very numb.

So we waited for that to kick in....

Nothing.

And since they had broken my water, I was dilating faster. The pain got worse with every contraction...um this isn't suppose to happen with an epidural folks! I think it was the worse pain I had ever felt.

The Anesthesiologist was kind of a punk. He was about 30, seemed to have just finished medical school. And was treating me like I was one of those whiny patients. You know, the annoying ones. So when I would tell him I was still feeling severe pain, he just thought I was ridiculous because "he knew he had put so much medicine in me that I couldn't be in pain"...ugh, idiot.

So after barely getting through a contraction and bawling my eyes off from the pain, the nurse, who was sympathetic to what I was going through and understood that I wasn't full of crap, told me that something must be wrong with the epidural because I should be so so completely numb. So she called the half-"A" doctor and said, "You are replacing the epidural right now, come back in!"

So he did.

And when they lifted me up to redo the whole process, the Anesthesiologist says, "Oh...huh, yep it fell out."

AHHHHHH, you freaking idiot. Guaranteed it had been out for like 2 hours, which explains the growing pains...So I hadn't really been getting an epidural where it mattered the most. So the contractions I have been feeling this whole time have been with no help? Honestly, Doc, if you stick a catheter half way in someone's back, isn't that an indication that you should probably do it again?

UGH...Such a moron.

And the nurse had checked me before I got the replacement and found that I was dilated to an 8....geez louise. Those were some serious contractions I was experiencing! So he did it again and I INSTANTLY got completely numb.

See, that's how it was supposed to happen the first time!

And now that my body had a chance to finally relax, I got to a 10 in like 1/2 hour. And my OBGYN was hilarious because he kept calling through out the day, yelling at the Anesthesiologist to get me comfortable because he too knew that it shouldn't be taking this long!

Anyways, I get to a 10. I push twice and this huge baby comes out. The doctor's like, "whoa, this is much bigger than your other babies!"

Luke came out with the cord around his neck and one of his hands up by his face. He was blue so they grab him and start to revive him....

it took them about 5 minutes to get to him to finally breathe! Even the NICU team came running in before he did. Talk about scary. I was just laying there, thinking, Breathe!! Breathe!!!

Phew but he did. And I'm glad. They weigh him and he's only 8.5 lbs, which surprises the doctor because he looks bigger than that...But for being a week early, that's pretty big!

He is such a sweetie and has been a great baby so far. lol just sleeps all the time. I have to wake him up hardcore to feed him or else he'd just keep sleeping.

We are staying an extra night because he had swallowed alot of crap and it just keeps coming out so they just want to make sure everything is safe and good. I'm fine with that. I like being taken care of still. It'll be weird to be home.

I just can't believe he's finally here!

Good times at the hospital :)













18 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Oh man Lyssa, that IS quite the story indeed!! That's what happened with Ryan. It never fully took, ever! The TOP of my stomach was numb....yeah a lot of good that does when giving birth to a 9 pound baby!! What's up with epidural doctors being complete idiots??? Really??? I have yet to meet a normal one!!

Glad Luke's ok. That is scary about the breathing thing. I can't and don't want to even imagine!! So so so glad he's ok though. I pray he continues to be a great baby for you. Camden has always been the "chill" baby and it's been incredibly nice!!

Good luck recovering and hope you recover fast. I so wish I could meet your sweet little Luke baby.

McArthur Family said...

I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. And at the same time what a blessing that Luke finally started breathing. I think I would have freaked out! You are superwoman!

Kat Curtis said...

Holy smokes - I'm glad Luke was okay! That's scary. I really worry about the epidural the next time around. I just know I'm going to get some guy who's just finished med school and either doesn't get it in or paralyzes me. I'm glad you had an assertive nurse who told the doctor to fix the epidural and that it kicked in for the end!

Lindsay said...

Ha...I soak up the hospital visits too! So nice to have someone serving you food, drinks and helping you in anyways. Sadly, it's like a vacation to me--sounds kind of relaxing to me at this moment.
I hear you on the epidural stress. With Elizabeth, it totally worked at first, but then at the very end, it totally stopped working. I really thought I was going to DIE. How can you push when you are in that much pain??!! Anyways, I feel for you.
I'm glad Luke is healthy and well. Enjoy that little guy!

Tyler and Erin said...

I've been excited to hear your story! I'm so glad everything turned out ok with Luke. Now that I work L&D these stories are so interesting to me. I agree that anesthesiologists can be real jerks sometimes. I've had one purposely come to the floor SO slow just so he could tell the patient that she was too far dilated to place the epidural. Jerk! I definitely have a whole new outlook on labors and it scares me to death now that I'm the one prego. I was just to neive with Peyton. :-) What a trooper you were though and what a stinkin' cutie you got out of it! Can't wait to see more pics.

Cairen said...

Oh darn, What a lame-o anesthesiologist... I am glad that Luke is healthy and that he started breathing, that is so scary!

lyn said...

wow, what a story to tell! i am so glad that luke is okay and doing well. little boys are the sweetest...then again, i *may* be a little biased!

i have a vegas dr story i'll have to share with you some time.

melimba said...

I love hearing stories about how it all went down! Especially now, that I'm gonna be there in a few!

Okay, crazy story about the anesthesiologist! What a punk! I'm so glad that the nurse was on your team and was helpful!

And, thank heavens he was able to start breathing! Oh, I would be such a stress case!!

Can't wait to see more pictures when you get to it. Just love on that little baby boy for now! How fun!!

Those People With The Crazy Kids said...

Holy cow!!! What a dork! I hope he either doesn't charge you or gives you a big discount for doing such a crappy job! So glad you're both ok. He sure is a cute little guy. Congrats!

Kristen said...

I love hearing birth stories. Glad everyone made it through ok. You're a champ for getting through 2 hours with Pit. Now you know you can handle anything, right? Congrats!

Jami Black said...

Lyssa! So glad to hear that you and Luke are doing well! Sorry you had to go through all that pain-how annoying! I'm so sad that you aren't right here for me to go over and visit in the hospital :( Hope you recover fast and I can't wait to see more pictures!

lisset said...

congrats on the new addition! and what a fun story to tell him when he gets older and is driving you crazy. it's a real "do you know i went through to get you here?!" kind of story. priceless. glad all is well!

JoEllen said...

I too am glad to hear that both you and your little man are well and recovering. I love to hear people's birth stories. Every one is so different.

I can't wait to see more pictures and to hear what the girls think of their new brother.

Congrats again!

Ben and Nanci Hanks said...

Yea! He's finally here. I'm so happy he's healthy and you're not pregnant anymore!

Courtney said...

Wow! Super lame about the anesthesiologist, at least you were numb eventually. I'm sure it sucked going through some bad contractions though.
And so scary! I'm sorry you had to worry about your baby but so so glad he's ok!!

Hope you are enjoying him....you should post some more pictures, you know when you're not sleeping or feeding the baby! lol

Tim and Jennifer said...

Must see more pictures!

Nic said...

Oh Lyssa!! I am so sorry talk about drama! I hate stupid know it all dr's that don't listen to their patients. I am glad that he and you are okay - Holy scary!!

Christine said...

Hey girl, congrats! Luke is adorable. I thought about sending some of my preemie stuff to you, but there is no way it would they would have fit. I'm glad you eventually got the epidural, thank goodness you didn't have to finish labor without it! I want to come see you sometime in 2010, let me know when would be good (or you could come here). I just need a visit.

Pin It button on image hover