Homemade Freezer Raspberry Jam Tutorial

From here on out, let's not be intimidated by jams. They are so easy to make. I know you read this a ton but seriously, if I can do this, anyone can!

Let's start with what you need:
-3 c. crushed fresh or frozen berries (to smash frozen, thaw out and use a blender)
-a package of Pectin
-5 1/4 c. sugar
-5 8 oz. clean containers (ones that will be okay in the freezer)

Here we go!
Step One:
Go buy your supplies :)
I used fresh raspberries.
As you can see, I was super excited about making jam and was raspberry-happy. But for this recipe, I only used 2 of these cartons or how ever much comes to 3 cups crushed.
This is the Pectin that I bought, Sure Jell. And the recipe I am tutoring right now is found in the box. So you can't go wrong!
Containers, I used the rectangle ones and found them at the dollar store...awesome.

Step Two:
Rise the fruit thoroughly.

Step Three:
Prepare Fruit. I am using Raspberries but Sure Jell has instructions inside their box for preparing all types of fruits. Put fruit in bowl and start smashing. I used a potato masher. You could use a blender but be careful when you do that. It can become too mushy and liquidy too fast. So do not puree! Jam is supposed to have bits of fruit in it.
Step Four:
Add sugar and mix until sugar has dissolved. Then let stand for 10 minutes.
Step Five: Stir package of Pectin and 3/4 c. water in sauce pan and bring to a boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Step Six: Stir Pectin mixture into fruit mixture. Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes.

Step Seven: Pour into prepared containers. Leave about a 1/2 inch space at top for expansion during freezing. Cover with lid.

Step Eight: Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Afterwards, place in freezer for up to a year. (thaw in fridge when ready to eat) Or it can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks.

2
It is so so yummy and so so easy. A must!! Go and be domestic!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'm going to make strawberry freezer jam tonight. And I actually thought to myself, "I wonder if you can make raspberry freezer jam?" And then I read your post! Thanks! I'll have to try it sometime.

Mandy [Mandipidy] said...

I've been wanting to try to make jam for a long time now. . . I just might try this! :]

Pin It button on image hover