Guest Post: Anything Virtuous.

Hey guys.  I have a treat for you.  Steph from Anything Virtuous is here today to show you how to do an adorable fabric bracelet.



 I feel really cool because she's my cousin.  She is just beautiful inside and out.  And her bracelets don't disappoint.

Here's a bit about Steph and her blog:

I earned a B.A. in Communications from Brigham Young University. After working in and out of television news, law firms, and substitute teaching assignments, I'm now a professional mother. When I'm not hanging out with my ridiculously adorable son, I'm blogging, songwriting, or crafting.
My sincere concern for women young and old is what drives me to do this. Through my experiences in work and life itself, I am quite aware of the messages that women are pelted with every day. I'm tired of feeling down or disgusted when I open a women's magazine or see images on TV or the internet, and I want to make a positive difference.

I created Anything Virtuous to offer a site that shares helpful tips and thoughts, uplifts its readers, and lets them know about other great sites and products out there. I also wanted a venue to share my thoughts for my future daughters, and also for every other woman regardless of her age. I believe we are all daughters of Heavenly parents and that we ought to be reminded of it often.

Since I was a teenager my motto has been to positively motivate others through words and music. I am constantly working on both and striving to "stand a little taller and be a little better." -- Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley


Wanna add some wowza to your wrist? If I can do it, you certainly can. 
DIY Fabric Bracelet
You will need:
Appx. 4.5 x 8.5 in fabric
Pellon (just smaller than said fabric)
Appx. 2.5 in ribbon/bias tape, etc.
A button to latch
Embellishments, such as ribbon, lace, jewels, fabric flowers, tulle, beads, etc.


Cut the fabric to your desired bracelet size. I did 4.5 in x 8.5 in. Keep in mind you will be folding it in half hotdog-style so it won't be as wide.

Cut a rectangle of pellon just smaller than your fabric.

Iron on the pellon, glue side down, to the wrong side of your fabric. Then fold the fabric in half, hotdog-style and right sides together, and press the crease.

Cut your buttonhole loop material to fit your button (to latch the bracelet). I did 2.25 in.

Form the buttonhole loop on the inside of the fabric rectangle and align the rough edge ends of the loop with your fabric.  Pin both ends in place.

Pin down the buttonhole loop side and the long edge next to it, leaving the other end open so you can turn it right side out later.

Stitch close to the edge of your fabric, backstitching over your buttonhole loop that is hidden inside. At the corner, drop your needle in the fabric and turn the fabric to stitch the next side  -- get a nice square corner.

Stitch around the long side of the bracelet.

Backstitch when you get to the open end.

Turn your fabric right side out. Now it's starting to look like a bracelet!

Press your bracelet (a little starch helps) and turn in the edges of the open end and press. You may want to check the length of the bracelet on your wrist. If it's mega long, snip off some length til it looks/fits right. Remember you still need to sew on a button, so leave room for that.

Stitch the open end closed.

Wahoo! Now you get to add the fun stuff ...

For a button, wrap the bracelet around your wrist, mark or pin where you want your button, and hand-sew it on.

Then add ribbon, fabric flowers, lace, ruffles, beads, jewels, and anything else you want!

I'd love to see the Fabric Bracelets you come up with, too!

Steph, thank you for joining me today!
Everyone head  on over to Anything Virtuous and check it out.  
Leave her some love!

4 comments:

Janet said...

This is so STINKIN' cute!!

http://www.iheartmygluegun.com

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This is so adorable!! Thanks for the tutorial!

Thanks for linking up to the Vintage Blog Link Party!!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for the spotlight! You are a fabulous friend and cousin. Miss you!

Unknown said...

This tutorial is terrific, so clear and helpful. I have this bookmarked so I can make them when I have time. I'll make sure to let you know when I do! Thanks for posting such a fun and simple project!! Love it! ~Lori

Pin It button on image hover