tidy-up tuesdays.



Hi!  Welcome to tidy-up tuesdays.

So I have a question for you.
Do you have a nightly routine?

Now I don't mean like, with your kids like dinner, bedtime, my time...
I'm talking about YOUR nightly routine with your home.

Let me show you my nightly routine:
 After kids are in bed, I:
start in the dining room and clear off table and clean off floor.
I wipe it down and make sure it's all clean.
Next is the living room,
Clean off the floor, like garbage, dishes, toys etc.  Put them all away until the floor is clear.
Next is the kitchen.
I save the kitchen for last because I want to make sure I have all the loose dishes that will need to go in the dishwasher.
I load the dishwasher, clean pots & pans, wipe down the counters & sink.
Lastly I sweep the floor in the kitchen and then vacuum in the living room and dining room.

That last step catches everything that has fallen to the floor while cleaning so I know that I will get every last piece of crumb or so help me!
And as I am going to my room to sleep, I start the dishwasher.

If I work quickly, this is easily done under an hour.  Then I have the rest of the night to do things I want to do!  It's all about looking ahead.  I would rather get everything clean that night so when I wake up the next morning, my house is clean!!  I am not overburdened with dirty dishes & messy floors!

Over the past few months, I've finally gotten into this routine.  I used to fight it because I was so tired at night, I didn't want to do anything.
Yet, I hated even more waking up to a big fat mess.  
Try tackling that with 3 kids under 4 at your feet!

So let me ask you,
What's your nightly routine like?

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This is something I struggle with! I need to just get over it and follow your good example :)

Anonymous said...

I also hate waking up to a big fat mess. I usually am so crunched for "me" time, though, that I leave the mess for the morning. And then I am grumpy when I wake up to the mess. It's kinda a vicious cycle...
Perhaps I should start cleaning at night as well.

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

While not as thorough as yours, I run the dishwasher, do a last load of laundry, pick up the living room and wipe down the table. I make sure I have breakfast stuff ready to go and and a healthy snack for my son to take to school ready. It helps so much! Just found your blog, during the first part of my nightly routine, blog time! Writing and reading :)

Amber said...

I love to cook, so I always start dinner early, and most of the time I will take extra time to try out my Rachael Ray cooking tricks. We all eat around 7, clean up our mess (the boys are teenagers so this is expected) dishes in kitchen and some group tv time. Then usually I will go do something small, like laundry, clean out the car, etc. Then I clean up the kitchen, wipe everything down, and start the dishwasher. I dont sweep and vaccuum daily. I probably should. O well. I save that for Mondays is "clean every floor in the house" day. Then is homework time, boys do internet time and Ill watch tv i like, then bedtime, amber alone time, and wait for dad to get off work around ten.

The routine REALLY helps. When I started doing the housewife thing, I totally rebelled and tried to get everyone else to do chores and whatnot, but realized that If I want it done right, I will do it myself. The boys get chores now such as cutting grass and other outside things :)

Thanks for sharing guys!

LBB said...

I have not kept to a routine :) I do the quick shove toys back in there place etc. & get a few things ready for morning. Luckly since my girls are getting older, they are great @ cleaning up & its makes things alot easier now :)

charl said...

sounds a bit like my routine.. the hubby goes up and puts the kids in the bath. i wash all the dishes, put all toys away.. then brush up everywere.. we have laminate floor downstairs so i dont need to hoover up just use the brush...
every other night i will mop the floors from the front door to the back ..always make sure that all dishes are put away and then its glass of wine time!!
i love waking up to clean house makes me feel more organised in the mornings!!

charl
x

Anonymous said...

Make sure the kitchen is clean. Scope out food for DH's breakfast and lunch. Set up the coffee pot. Start dishwasher. Take vitamins/medications. Log into medication book, write a few sentences about my day in my journal.

Pin It button on image hover